A True Story of Balancing Loss and Life With Dementia

Featuring Romeo and Juliet Archer

We invite you to participate on this blog with us.
Please join the discussion, add comments,
ask questions.
Above all, sweet souls, learn and grow in love with all your being.



Friday, September 17, 2010

Everything Is Fine In Dementiaville

I arrived at the nursing home at 9:30 this morning for a visit with Romeo. It appeared to be one of his "good" days. He was alert, smiling.

"I want to tell you something," he said.

"Yes?"

"Before you got here, I had the most wonderful experience."

I nodded to urge him on, wondering if what he was about to tell me was another of his delusions, although a pleasant one by the way he looked this morning.

He continued, "I looked around the room. I looked at everything in the room, and..."

He was overcome by emotion, holding back tears, concentrating on continuing.

"And everything looked so beautiful."

His eyes were clear, his face glowed, he was moved, he was calm. His heart pulsated with love, and that love radiated outward. It met me. It went through me.

"Everything was so beautiful." He went on, "And there is more."

I looked at him quizzically, not doubting, but not quite grasping how this could be better. What more could this lovely man have to say? How could this experience be better than what he had just witnessed to me?

"Romeo, you clearly had a glimpse at a different reality. You were in an altered state, perhaps it is our natural state of consciousness. What could possibly be better?"

He smiled, leaned toward me, looked me in the eye, his spirit to mine, and said, "I saw all of the beauty around me, and...I knew...I knew that...everything...everything is as it should be. I knew that everything is right with the world. Everything is right with my situation. Everything is right with us. Everything is fine. Anything that happens is happening as it should."

Romeo leaned back. We held the gaze between us. All I could do was nod, agree with Romeo. Yes. It's all okay. All of it is fine. We are living the events in our lives, and everything is fine. We are in flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment