A True Story of Balancing Loss and Life With Dementia

Featuring Romeo and Juliet Archer

We invite you to participate on this blog with us.
Please join the discussion, add comments,
ask questions.
Above all, sweet souls, learn and grow in love with all your being.



Sunday, September 5, 2010

Consistency in Dementiaville

Another phone call from Romeo in the nursing home. He says, "There was a nice man who came to visit me. His name is Frank."

Frank is a very close friend of Romeo's. In actuality, the two of them have known each other for quite some time and have shared numerous adventures, laughs, talks, games, and tea. Beer too, I'm sure. Romeo has obviously forgotten his old friend.

Romeo continues, "I'm sure that in time, this Frank will become a very good friend of mine."

"Yes, it sounds like it. I'm happy you have found a new friend, Romeo."

"Frank says he will visit me every week, every Friday. Friday will be Frankday."

We both laugh at the thought of a new name for a familiar day of the week.

After our conversation, Romeo hangs up happy. I hang up smiling to myself, in awe of the consistency of Romeo's mind -- to have been good friends with Frank before dementia set in, and again now to reaffirm that relationship from Romeo's place in Dementiaville.

No comments:

Post a Comment