A True Story of Balancing Loss and Life With Dementia

Featuring Romeo and Juliet Archer

We invite you to participate on this blog with us.
Please join the discussion, add comments,
ask questions.
Above all, sweet souls, learn and grow in love with all your being.



Monday, September 13, 2010

A Caregiver's Walking Memories

Dear Romeo,

I went for a walk this morning, as I do regularly. But today I thought of you the entire rest of the day. I thought of how you loved to go for walks. I thought of how I love to go for walks. I remembered how we would go for walks together, how we would walk everywhere.

Our first meeting, we met for afternoon tea, sat and talked for a couple of hours, then you suggested a walk. That made me smile. We walked up and down the Boulder Creek path, sat on a boulder down by the water. How many times we've walked that path since, I don't know. Countless.

Since the very beginning, we held hands as we walked. That is, we held hands as you walked and I floated a few inches off the ground. I was elated to be with you. I wanted to hold your hand forever, to walk with you side-by-side forever. Our joy accompanied us on our walks.

On my walks now, without you, your presence sometimes pops in and accompanies me part of the way. Other times, I call up your presence and you stay with me a little while. But you always leave, and I finish the walk on my own, remembering how you loved to go for walks, how I love to go for walks, and how we would walk everywhere together.

A Late Walk
by Robert Frost

When I go up through the mowing field,
The headless aftermath,
Smooth-laid like thatch with the heavy dew,
Half closes the garden path.

And when I come to the garden ground,
The whir of sober birds
Up from the tangle of withered weeds
Is sadder than any words

A tree beside the wall stands bare,
But a leaf that lingered brown,
Disturbed, I doubt not, by my thought,
Comes softly rattling down.

I end not far from my going forth
By picking the faded blue
Of the last remaining aster flower
To carry again to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment