A True Story of Balancing Loss and Life With Dementia

Featuring Romeo and Juliet Archer

We invite you to participate on this blog with us.
Please join the discussion, add comments,
ask questions.
Above all, sweet souls, learn and grow in love with all your being.



Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Caregiver's Birthday Gift

Romeo was in bed when I arrived this afternoon. He was awake, lying quietly, his bright and alert eyes scanning the room. He smiled when he saw me.

"Hello, my Love," I said, leaning over to hug him. "Would you like to get up?" He nodded, and I asked him to press his call button.

As we waited for assistance, I said to Romeo, "Sweetheart, you wanted me to remind you of something today."

"Oh, what?"

"You wanted me to remind you that today is my birthday."

"Today is your birthday?"

"Yes."

"Happy birthday, my dear." And he reached out to hold my hand.

Just then, one of the certified nursing assistants (CNAs) came to get Romeo out of bed and into his wheelchair. As he was standing, just before moving to his wheelchair, he asked me to come closer to him, to stand in front of him. I held his arms and moved closer as the CNA let go of him and backed away.

Romeo said to me, "Come here." He put his arms around me, and I held and steadied him as he worked to maintain his balance. He, arms clasped around me, pulled me closer into him. I could feel his heart beat, sending loving energy to my heart. We stood in that embrace for several minutes. I soaked it in, gave it back to him, circulated it, and put my entire body into steadying him whenever he seemed off balance.

But mostly, I soaked it in. Romeo is seldom in a standing position for any length of time. I hug him while he sits in his wheelchair. I don't remember the last time we embraced while standing, while on equal ground. This afternoon's hug will remain in my memory, the memory of my cells, for a long, long time. By now he has forgotten all about it. For me, it's the best birthday gift he's ever given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment