A True Story of Balancing Loss and Life With Dementia

Featuring Romeo and Juliet Archer

We invite you to participate on this blog with us.
Please join the discussion, add comments,
ask questions.
Above all, sweet souls, learn and grow in love with all your being.



Monday, July 12, 2010

A Caregiver's Organic Changes at Home

"Romeo, things at home are changing slowly, organically since you don't live there with me anymore."

"What?"

"I mean that for starters, I've taken over the closet, since you don't need much space there anymore."

"Oh."

"I'm taking back the study, slowly moving my files and papers back into the big desk there. I had given you the study back in December 2006 and set up a small work area for me in the living room -- remember?"

"Oh."

"When you moved in with me in September 2005, we moved things around, combined two households into one, at my place."

"Oh, yes."

"Now I'm slowly moving things back to how they were before I knew you. I'm not making a conscious effort to do it. It's just sorta happening on its own. Because...well...because you're not there anymore."

He wipes away the tear running down my cheek.

"That's okay," he says. "I'm not here either."

"You're not? Where are you?"

"I don't know. Out there somewhere in the ethers."

No comments:

Post a Comment