A True Story of Balancing Loss and Life With Dementia

Featuring Romeo and Juliet Archer

We invite you to participate on this blog with us.
Please join the discussion, add comments,
ask questions.
Above all, sweet souls, learn and grow in love with all your being.



Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Caregiver's Spa-ahhh Break: Part Deux

It's late afternoon and I'm headed to get a massage. Ahhhh, mahhhsage. When I arrive, there's a little surprise for me. A foot bath! Large copper bowl, plenty of room for feet, bath salts, flowers, warm water. Add two feet...mine. Ahhh.

While soaking, pick a card from an offered deck: Goddess Guidance Oracle Cards. Cards face down, no looking. As fate would have it, I chose Diana. On the card is written: "Focused Intention. Keep your unwavering thoughts, feelings, and actions focused on your target, and you will make your mark." Good. What is my target, again?

One of the meanings of this card: "Know what your priorities are and take action on them. Take control of your schedule." Yes, that's what I have to do, what I haven't done. Time to do that. First there's time with Romeo at the nursing home, and now there must be more time for my other passions. Walking, writing, reading, qi gong, doing my art, playing my djembe. It all helps to energize me, to heal me, and it's so much FUN. Need fun, need more fun. What happened to the fun? Where did it go? Yep, gotta put all of it back in the schedule.

Next, one blissful hour of deep tissue massage, essential oils, hot towels substituting for hot stones, better than hot stones. My physical body silently crying out in pleasure while my metaphysical body expresses it in the loudest voice it's ever used. Almost as good as sex. Don't know if I'm lying on a table or floating on a cloud. I am alive, right? Doesn't matter. Nothing matters. Good lord, I needed this.

Almost abruptly, too soon, the hour is over. I have to get up? Get dressed? Leave? Go out there -- into the world? Walk? Drive? In this altered state of consciousness? Really?

I take my time. Drink the entire glass of water handed me. Find a mirror so I can put my necklace back on -- tricky clasp. Brush my hair -- it falls where it wants, parts of it dampened with essential oils. Wash my hands with lemon verbena soap, splash a little water on my face. I'm coming back, slowly.

At the front desk, I chat with one of the spa's employees and tell her a brief version of my life taking care of Romeo. For several years, she took care of her father, who also had dementia. So good to come across people who really understand what it's all about. We, two strangers united by the caregiver experience, embrace. And now I am grounded enough to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment